This story goes to show that you cannot trust internet sites for cooking advice, because you might decide that it is safe to microwave eggs, which then blow up in your face, much like Leftist theory, which has nothing to do with this story, but I thought that I would throw it in anyway, as a metaphor, not to in any way make light of one person’s disaster.
“She said: “I googled to see if you could make boiled eggs in the microwave. “There are endless websites and YouTube videos which say you can. The one I read, though, was the set of instructions on recipe website, Delish. “It said that you could microwave the eggs as long as you add salt to the eggs in the water to prevent them from bursting. “The instructions then said to leave the eggs in the microwave for between six and eight minutes. Being cautious, I did six and took them out. “As I looked into the jug to see if the eggs were done, they went bang in my face. “It only happened as I took them out. The eggs were fine in the microwave.” Bethany was on her own at the time, so she called 999 while running cold water over her face, but her skin was already starting to peel away. She was rushed to the burns unit at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, where she received treatment including wet bandages over her face and was kept in overnight. Bethany says it’s unclear if the damage to her right eye is permanent. She added: “My eye has started to open and I can see, but it’s very blurry.” She’s been told she won’t have facial scars but to expect long-term skin discolouration. Bethany said: “As I splashed myself with water, I could see my skin peeling off. “It felt horrible, I was in total agony. I could feel my skin burning for hours afterwards — even while it was being treated in hospital. “I’ve never been so scared in my life — I was shaking and crying. The accident was, without doubt, the worst day of my life to date.”