Can We be as Fit as a Salmon? By Mrs Vera West
Salmon are extremely fit fish, that swim up-stream against the current often for days, to do their baby-making things. How do they do it? It is thought that the pink chemical in their flesh, astaxanthin, is what makes them into energy powerhouses. This powerful antioxidant can:
• Neutralize free radicals to protect cells; reduce DNA damage and fight aging;
• Promote a normal inflammatory response;
• Improve muscle endurance and exercise performance;
• Reduce joint pain;
• Support healthy circulation and cardiovascular health;
• Help your brain and nervous system function optimally
• Relieve eye strain and fatigue, and support near and far vision
• Protect skin against UV damage and premature aging.
Astaxanthin has the unique ability to cross the blood-brain and blood-retina barrier, being fat-soluble, giving it an edge on other antioxidants. As we are all rapidly ageing here, we need an edge too, and this supplement, although found in salmon, in the yummy reddish skin, can be easily consumed in tablet form, for a more concentrated zap of goodness.